Brides come in all shapes and sizes and at Madeleine’s Daughter, we feel like that’s something to celebrate not shy away from! Whether you are a size 2 or a 22, or anything else for that matter, shopping for your bridal gown should be fun, exciting and memorable! Pretty much all brides are nervous to shop for a bridal gown, but it can be especially nerve-wracking for the plus-size bride because the fashion industry in general isn’t always kind where size is concerned. So how should a beautiful, curvy girl approach shopping for her wedding gown? Here are some tips to make the experience a positive one (and just FYI, this advice is great for ALL sizes)!
- Remember that your stylist is there for YOU! They are not only going to help you in and out of each and every dress, but they will be able to answer any questions you have about the fit of the gown. Think of the two of you as a team. You know your body and she knows the dresses. Together you’ll communicate about what looks and feels best until you’ve found your dream dress!
- Believe it or not, we have a range of sizes to try on! The nature of our business requires us to almost always choose just one size sample of each dress, usually something between an 8 and a 12. But we want everyone to be able to try on dresses regardless of size, so we actually purchase a second sample of many of our dresses in a size 16 or higher. If there’s a specific dress you’re interested in, call us to see if we have it and if we do, what size it’s sampled in. We’re always happy to provide this kind of info to our potential brides!
- Remind yourself of all your beautiful attributes! Shopping for a bridal gown can be intimidating for everyone. We’re not all accustomed to trying on formal wear, but the things to remember are your assets and the fact that your wedding gown should show them off! What do you love about how you look? Your great cleavage? Your fabulous booty? Your sexy smile? Your bright, sparkling eyes? All of the above? Let your stylist know what you want to accentuate and they’ll bring you dresses that will do just that!
- Don’t feel pressured to choose what’s “flattering” unless it’s “flattering” to YOU! Although A-line styles tend to be flattering on literally everyone, that doesn’t mean that it is a silhouette that you’ll love or that will make you feel like a bride (it might, but don’t feel pigeon-holed to that particular style before you’ve even started). Although you are definitely looking for a gown that is flattering, be open to what actually defines “flattering” for YOU. And don’t forget to let your own style shine through in your choice.
- Keep an open mind! If I had a nickel every time a bride said, “I never thought I’d end up in a dress like this!” I’d have a LOT of nickels! Regardless of their size, the majority of brides end up choosing a dress that’s different from what they expected to choose. This is because you really can’t know until you try them on! So, if your stylist brings in a dress that you do not love at first glance, keep an open mind and try it on. Many (many, many) times, that “wild card” the stylist brought in ends up being “the one!”
The bottom line in wedding gown shopping (for ALL brides) is that it should be an amazing experience and at Madeleine’s Daughter, that’s our ultimate goal for every bride who walks through our doors.